The Sin Eaters Daughter by Melinda Salisbury


Series: The Sin Eaters Daughter #1
Publisher: Scholastic Press
Amazon: UK|US
Synopsis: Seventeen-year-old Twylla lives in the castle. But although she's engaged to the prince, Twylla isn't exactly a member of the court. She's the executioner. As the Goddess embodied, Twylla instantly kills anyone she touches. Each month she's taken to the prison and forced to lay her hands on those accused of treason. 

No one will ever love a girl with murder in her veins. Even the prince, whose royal blood supposedly makes him immune to Twylla's fatal touch, avoids her company. But then a new guard arrives, a boy whose easy smile belies his deadly swordsmanship. And unlike the others, he's able to look past Twylla's executioner robes and see the girl, not the Goddess. 

Yet Twylla's been promised to the prince, and knows what happens to people who cross the queen. However, a treasonous secret is the least of Twylla's problems. The queen has a plan to destroy her enemies, a plan that requires a stomach-churning, unthinkable sacrifice. Will Twylla do what it takes to protect her kingdom? Or will she abandon her duty in favour of a doomed love?

Review: I've had a shamefully hard time trying to decide how I feel about this book; I couldn't decided whether it was utter drivel, or if it was mediocre but I think I have decided on the latter. The cover is what drew me in initially; it's so pretty and definitely attracts attention, but I also thought I'd enjoy the plot so I picked it from amazon as part of a three for ten pound deal. I'm actually really disappointed that this book ended up being something I really couldn't enjoy. 

One of the biggest hurdles I had to leap over to finish this book was the fact that it was written in first person. First person and I do not get on, I haven't been able to read anything fictional in first person since I was fourteen and had to really push myself to finish this. There is also the fact that I hated pretty much all of the characters...Twylla especially. If your looking for a book with a badass heroine who takes back control of her life, this. is. not. it. Don't get my wrong Twylla deals with her situation as best she can, but sometimes you just want to yell at her to stand up for herself instead of moping. 

The male lead Leif didn't really cut it for me either if I'm honest. I just didn't like him, and I don't think he had any chemistry with Twylla; there were so many make out scenes that I ended up skim reading because I just didn't enjoy any dialogue between the two. I think I liked the prince the most out of all of them; he actually had both the kingdoms, and Twylla's, best interests at heart. He was the only one in the entire book who actually stood up for what he believed in, and I seriously missed that in a book with a heroine who just rolls over. I know that technically all the characters bad traits fall in line with the plot and their backstory, but the characters do not grow within the story and that's something I can't stand in a novel. 

Recommend: It's a firm no from me. 
Stars
★★

Popular Posts