My Top Ten Manga Recommendations!! (part one)

So I thought I'd open with something quick and easy so that I could start putting out content, but this turned out to be one of the hardest things I've ever had to try and put together. I've been reading manga since I was fourteen so I've reached the stage where I have way more than ten favourites, even now while writing this I've already thought of another one I want to add. To think I thought this post would be easy, but any way without further ado here are the first five of my top ten manga! (you'll see why I had to split it into two parts in a sec, and all of the links lead to Amazon or Crunchyroll in case you were worried about clicking)



1. Bungou Stray Dogs/Bungō Sutorei Doggusu

Manga: Link here as soon as it's licensed!

I'm starting off with one of my current favourites! It's still being updated, and currently only has thirty three chapters so it won't take long to catch up. Unfortunately it is currently unlicensed in the UK so if you want to read it you'll have to access it online, but I think it won't be long until it is picked up by a UK publisher and then please support the author!
This is a fantastic story set in an alternate Tokyo, where a small percentage of the population are gifted with special powers. The main protagonist of the series, Atsushi Nakajima, gets thrown out of his orphanage and after rescuing a man drowning in a river he is introduced to the Armed Detective Agency.  
The characters really make this manga, and it's a lot of fun! It has such a great sense of humour, but the detective agency, without giving anything away, still manages to show that it is a seriously powerful entity (plus Dazai is really cool). I'm an absolute sucker for this kind of manga, where on the surface everything seems super simple, but instead the characters are much deeper than they seem.
This is an excellent manga that contains three dimensional characters, jokes galore, a seriously great plot, and an excellent Anime adaptation! It's well worth a look if you have a couple hours to spare. 

2. The Big Three!

Anime: Bleach                                       Anime:Naruto                        Anime:One Piece 
Manga: UK|US                                       Manga:UK|US                        Manga: UK|US

So I wanted to include these three, as when I first started reading manga (and watching anime) these three were what brought me into this world! Naruto has finally been completed, but Bleach and One Piece are still going strong so it's a serious time investment. Naruto and Bleach have well over five hundred chapters, and One Piece is creeping ever closer to the thousand mark. 
The stories though are well worth the investment all three have incredible worlds, stories, and characters that are worth the time if you've got it! I would certainly read the manga rather than watching the anime, as if i remember rightly one half an hour episode will only cover one short seventeen page chapter. 


3. Haikyuu!!

Anime: Haikyuu!!
Manga:UK|US

I really, really, really, love sports anime/manga, and this is probably rank no.2 in my list of favourite sports anime; I'll talk about no.1 in the second part of this list, but for now onto Haikyuu!! 
This is manga focuses Karasuno volleyball team, and it's two new members Hinata and Kageyama. It's a story that focuses on both the growth of the players, and the growth of their team as they attempt to make it to nationals. The story is still ongoing, and currently has about two hundred chapters but it's so worth starting. You'll fall in love with all the characters, and there are so many moments where you'll find yourself rooting for the opposite team. The manga has so many different characters, but I always manage to remember each one because the characters are so fleshed out. 
Honestly this manga is such a joy to read, and I have to say I love it for the fantastic characters rather than the sport but read it and I'm sure you'll understand what I mean.  


4. Skip Beat!

Anime: Skip Beat
Manga: UK|US
I have been reading this one for what seems like forever and it never seems to get boring. So the basic premise of the manga, is a girl who gets ditched by a boy after runing away to Tokyo and decides to take revenge on him. Usually this isn't my type of story, but the fact that she decided to take her revenge through defeating him in the showbiz world makes it much more fun. 
Kyoko is also a fantastic character, and does so much growing throughout the manga. I initially was a little put off by the humor, but this manga just goes from strength to strength and becomes less about revenge, and more about Kyoko becoming a fantastic actor and human being. It is well worth a look!!


5. Akatsuki no Yona

Manga: UK|US
If you like a heroine that transforms from a self absorbed princess, into a gentle, caring, badass human being then this is the one for you! Yona witnesses her fathers murder, and has to flee her kingdom. I know that this isn't a whole load of information, but I wouldn't have wanted spoilers and neither will you.
The art is also a big draw for me with this one, as it is absolutely gorgeous from the beginning but somehow still manages to improve throughout the manga. Yona is also a fantastic protagonist, and becomes the sort of strong heroine I love! The other characters are also fantastic, and I'm completely in love with Hak he's an absolute babe. This manga with constantly break your heart, and then piece it back together with heartwarming friendship. It's honestly a manga that'll have you crying one second and laughing the next, and I love that so much. 

Honerable mention: Mahou Tsukai No Yome
  

Manga: UK|US
So this is my honourable mention! I'm not going to talk a lot about it, but this is one of the best ones I've read in awhile. I'm planing a full review of the manga for later this month, but it's well worth picking up a copy if you fancy it. 







Popular Posts