The Fourth Piece by E. Ardell


Series: Order's Last Play #1
Publisher: 48Fourteen 
Amazon: UK|US
Synopsis: Admitting what you are will end everything you know. Embracing who you are will start a war... 

Life is great when you’re good-looking and popular…so long as no one knows you’re a vulatto. Being half-alien gets you labeled “loser” quicker than being a full vader. So it’s a good thing Devon, Lyle, and Lawrence can easily pass for human—until the night of the party. Nothing kills a good time faster than three brothers sharing a psychic vision of a fourth brother who’s off-world and going to die unless they do something. But when your brother’s emergency happens off-planet, calling 9-1-1 really isn’t an option. 

In their attempt to save a brother they barely remember, Devon, Lyle and Lawrence expose themselves to mortal danger and inherit a destiny that killed the last four guys cursed with it. In 2022, there are humans and aliens, heroes and monsters, choices and prophecies—and four brothers with the power to choose what’s left when the gods decide they’re through playing games. 

Review: I received this book for review from Netgalley after requesting it because I loved the synopsis, plus it had been awhile since I'd read anything even close to Sci-fi. This book was definitely a grower for me; it was written in first person, and as I said in my review of The Sin Eaters Daughter, I'm not a big fan of that particular writing style. This is not a bad review though, and the great plot meant that I quickly got over what is usually a pretty big issue for me. 

There was also the fact that at the start of the book I really didn't like any of the characters, especially Devon and to be honest I'm still a little funny about him, but Lawrie and Lyle quickly grew on me. The characters grew with the stoy which is always a plus for me, as the plot thickens the characters were forced to grow up; each character has their own flaws, and I definitely like the fact that none of the boys are presented as perfect. I cannot wait to see how they will change when faced with the problems that are sure to come in the next book. Their mum is also a seriously badass lawyer, so that's another pro for me!

I initially found the changing perspectives harder to follow than I would like to admit. Lawrence is called Lawrie by almost every character in the book, but his chapters use his full name, so I spent the first three chapters wondering who this Lawrie person was. I do think this was mostly my own stupidity though...

The plot is amazing! I love the prophecy, the aliens, and the controversy surrounding the different alien races being on earth. I don't want to reveal too much about the plot because I know that personally I really hate spoilers, but I promise you it is seriously great. The only thing I would say is that the book is clearly a set up for a series, but it somehow pulls this off and manages to just make me really, really excited for this series to get going!! I think that this will honestly be a seriously great series, and I'm excited to see where these book will go next.


Recomend: Yes! If your looking to start a brand new book series then it would come highly recommeded, but this is definietly not a stand alone book. 

Stars
★★★★




Popular Posts