Maze Runner by James Dashner


Series: The Maze Runner #1 
Publisher: Chicken House
Amazon: UK|US 
Synopsis:If you ain’t scared, you ain’t human.
When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name. He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.

Nice to meet ya, shank. Welcome to the Glade.

Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.

Everything is going to change.


Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.
Remember. Survive. Run.

Review: Ugh okay so I bought this book last year and it has been sitting on my shelf since then; so I decided I'd bring it on holiday with me, and I have to say it was the worst book out of the five that I took. This book is my kind of book, and I know that I should have loved it but it just didn't click for me; something was off and I just couldn't place it...but then I realised why. The film spoiled this book for me, I knew exactly what was coming so any suspense filled moments meant nothing; I honestly was hurrying it along while I was reading, and looking back now I feel awful about it. This book is not a bad book but for me it felt like it dragged, and then ended up being just mediocre.

I think there was also the fact that I didn't really care about any of the characters. I wanted them to figure out the maze, but I didn't really care who managed to actually escape. I didn't care about Thomas, and I certainly didn't connect with him; rather than experiencing things alongside Thomas, I felt detached from the story, as if I was one of the scientists watching them scurry around rather than a reader trying to empathise with the boys trapped within the Maze. Theresa added next to nothing to the story so I won't talk about her much, but I really hope she developes in some way in the next book. I quite liked Minho and Newt, and I think they have the potential to be really interesting characters. 

It's certainly a book that draws on Lord of the Flies and The Hunger Games; I think it doesn't really compare to either though. The pacing of the book is so strange, it just didn't flow and I thought it felt quite choppy depsite being told from the same perspective the whole way through. I honestly think that if the plot wasn't so interesting I think I would have put it down and never picked it back up. 

Recommend: No and I don't think I'll be picking up the next one. I think this series wasn't for me, and the fact that I'd watched the movie beforehand added to this feeling.

Stars: ★★★

Popular Posts