Fangirl by Rainbow Rowell

Publisher: St. Martins Press
Amazon: UK|US
Synopsis: Cath and Wren are identical twins, and until recently they did absolutely everything together. Now they're off to university and Wren's decided she doesn't want to be one half of a pair any more - she wants to dance, meet boys, go to parties and let loose. It's not so easy for Cath. She's horribly shy and has always buried herself in the fan fiction she writes, where she always knows exactly what to say and can write a romance far more intense than anything she's experienced in real life.
Without Wren Cath is completely on her own and totally outside her comfort zone. She's got a surly room-mate with a charming, always-around boyfriend, a fiction-writing professor who thinks fan fiction is the end of the civilised world, a handsome classmate who only wants to talk about words . . . And she can't stop worrying about her dad, who's loving and fragile and has never really been alone.
Now Cath has to decide whether she's ready to open her heart to new people and new experiences, and she's realising that there's more to learn about love than she ever thought possible . . .
Review: I'm in love with this book. It's been awhile since I've read a book all in one sitting, and then loved it so much that I never wanted it to end. I think it really resonated with me as an awkward fanfiction lover, and as a person who had so much anxiety when I started university. I'm honestly so sad that it took me so long to read this book especially as I honestly felt like it ended too soon. 
The premise of the book certainly gives you the feeling that it would be every tumblr girls dream book. All about being a socially awkward nerd, writing fanfiction, and living the majority of your life on the Internet, but this book is so much more than that premise. This book is so much deeper than its premise, and I love it, Cath has to deal with college but she also deals with problems with her sister and dad; she grows up in this book, she goes from writing fanfiction alone in her room and being unable to eat in the cafeteria, to a girl that still loves fanfiction and Simon Snow but no longer lets it define her. I love the fact that Cath doesn't lose her nerdiness, instead the people around her just accept her for who she is, and I think when I was eighteen this was all I wanted from my friends too. 
The characters are honestly fantastic. I'm so in love with Levi, he is not the traditional leading man but I think that's probably why I love him so much. Wren and Caths changing relationship is also interesting to watch unfold, and I just was honestly sitting there waiting for the pair of them to sort everything out. There is so much more to this book that just a socially awkward nerds awkward college experience; it's a book about personal growth, family, and friendship, and I think that's probably why I'm absolutely in love with this book.
Recommed: Yes! If you love contemporary YA then you'll love this, but to be honest it's worth a go even if you don't. 
Stars: ★★★★★ 

Popular Posts