Delirium by Lauren Oliver



Series: Delirium #1 
Publisher: HarperTeen
Amazon: UK I US
Synopsis:Before scientists found the cure, people thought love was a good thing.
They didn’t understand that once love -- the deliria -- blooms in your blood, there is no escaping its hold. Things are different now. Scientists are able to eradicate love, and the government demands that all citizens receive the cure upon turning eighteen. Lena Holoway has always looked forward to the day when she’ll be cured. A life without love is a life without pain: safe, measured, predictable, and happy.
But with ninety-five days left until her treatment, Lena does the unthinkable: She falls in love. 
Review: I thoroughly enjoyed Delirium, and although it was a little slow at first I quickly got into it. I have to be honest when I read the blurb of this book it didn't really interest me, but after reading a few of the reviews on Goodreads I decided to give it a go.
I loved the concept of love as a disease, and when you read the book you realise that it's not just love that they consider bad. The way that she describes what is essentially a brainwashed, monotone, emotionless population is fabulous. I could really see how the children were different from those who were over eighteen, and who had already received this "Cure".
At first I really worried that this book about forbidden love would turn out to be a massive bucket of cheese, and about as deep as a puddle, but instead this book manages to step away from this trope. She not only looks at the way the cure affects romantic relationships, but at the way if affects family and friendships too, and I think that this is one of the reasons this book doesn't become a massive forbidden love cheese fest. This book discusses so many different kinds of love not just romantic love, and I think this is one of the most exciting things about this novel. 
The world that Lauren Oliver weaved was absolutely fantastic. She really drew you into the book and even made me feel that this dystopia future could actually be possible. The way that everyone seems to just accept this "cure", and there is this looming sense of awfulness that reminds me a little of The Hunger Games in which everyone accepted that the games are a fact of life rather than the atrocity that it was.    
Recommend: Yes, Lauren Oliver weaved a world that I simultaneously wanted to escape from, and get dragged deeper into. I highly recommend this one.
Stars
★★★★  



Popular Posts