City Of Heavenly Fire by Cassandra Clare




Series: The Mortal Instruments #6
Publisher: Walker
Amazon: UK / US
Synopsis: Sebastian Morgenstern is on the move, systematically turning Shadowhunter against Shadowhunter. Bearing the Infernal Cup, he transforms Shadowhunters into creatures out of nightmare, tearing apart families and lovers as the ranks of his Endarkened army swell.
The embattled Shadowhunters withdraw to Idris - but not even the famed demon towers of Alicante can keep Sebastian at bay. And with the Nephilim trapped in Idris, who will guard the world against demons?
When one of the greatest betrayals the Nephilim have ever known is revealed, Clary, Jace, Isabelle, Simon, and Alec must flee - even if their journey takes them deep into the demon realms, where no Shadowhunter has set foot before, and from which no human being has ever returned...
Review: This book is the climax to a book series that I started when I was thirteen, and I'm going to try and keep this review as spoiler free as I possibly can. So for me the past two Mortal Instruments books have been mediocre at best, and I still feel that this series should have ended with City of Glass, but City of Heavenly Fire managed to wrap this series up perfectly.
The book was exciting and pulled you into the story. I finished it in two days despite it being the size of the Order of the Phoenix without the hard back. I was really looking forward to Heavenly Fire, and although it didn't live up to the hype around it, it was still a fantastic book. Jace and Clary were perfect, and I felt in this book they were both back on top form and were really enjoyable characters to read. I must say that Cassie Clare definitely made a mountain out of a molehill when talking about deaths in this book. I spent most of this book fearing for my favourite characters, but in the end she didn't kill off anyone of consequence. Which was a bit of a shame, especially after the ending of Divergent was so heart-breaking.
The one major issue I had was that it seems as though Clare created the last three books to create the back-story for her new series The Dark Artifices. This is especially true of this final book. She introduces the new protagonist Emma, and this feels like she is trying to make sure that I read the next series. Which is a good marketing idea, but it made me feel that all of the books since City of Glass were used to draw me into the Dark Artifices. It unfortunately worked, and I'm probably going to read on despite planning on leaving the series with this book. 
Recommend: Yes and no. I would recommend the Mortal Instruments series to anyone, but if I could go back in time I definitely should have stopped reading at City of Glass. Did anyone else feel like this book was a marketing ploy, or is it just me? 
Stars 

★★★★

Popular Posts